Apr. 19, 2020
Primary Text: Amos 4:10-12 April 19, 2020
This Week’s Teaching:
1) Did God Send the Virus? -
- Numbers 14:36-38: So the men Moses had sent to explore the land, who returned and made the whole community grumble against him by spreading a bad report about it--these men responsible for spreading the bad report about the land were struck down and died of a plague before the LORD. Of the men who went to explore the land, only Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh survived.
- Ezekiel 14:21: "For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: How much worse will it be when I send against Jerusalem my four dreadful judgments--sword and famine and wild beasts and plague--to kill its men and their animals!"
- Amos 4:10-12: "I sent plagues among you as I did to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD. "I overthrew some of you as I overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. You were like a burning stick snatched from the fire, yet you have not returned to me," declares the LORD. "Therefore this is what I will do to you, Israel, and because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God, O Israel."
- Revelation 15:1: I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues--last, because with them God's wrath is completed.
- DQ 1) Has God used plagues in biblical history to judge people and nations?
- DQ 2) Is God unjust or unloving for bringing judgment upon evil?
2) The Worst Case Scenario -
- Revelation 20:6: Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.
- Revelation 20:14-15: Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
- DQ 3) Why is spiritual death far worse than physical death?
3) God at Work -
Romans 8:28-29: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
DQ 4) How is God working globally, nationally, and in your personal life to bring forth good in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic?