Primary Text: Genesis 4:1-9 February 1 & 2, 2020 -
1) Angry at Who? -
- Jonah 3:10, 4:1-4: When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened. But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. He prayed to the LORD, "O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live." But the LORD replied, "Have you any right to be angry?"
- DQ 1) Jonah’s anger grew out of his attitude toward the Ninevites, but with whom was he really angry?
2) Despair & Anger -
- Job 3:1-3, 23-26: After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth. He said:"May the day of my birth perish, and the night it was said, 'A boy is born!'… Why is life given to a man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in? For sighing comes to me instead of food; my groans pour out like water. What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me. I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil."
- Psalm 42:9-11: I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, "Where is your God?" Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
- DQ 2) What can cause us to become angry with God?
- DQ 3) Is being angry with God sinful?
3) Accountability for Anger -
- Matthew 5:21-22: You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.
- DQ 4) What are the ramifications for holding onto anger against God?
- DQ 5) Is there anyone with whom you are angry and unwilling to release your anger?