This Week’s Teaching:
1) Master of Your Heart
Matthew 6:24: No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
Matthew 6:19-21: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- DQ 1) What are indications that money is someone’s master? Is it your master?
- DQ 2) What thing besides money might be a master to you other than God?
2) The Gift of Contentment
Ecclesiastes 5:19-20: Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.
1 Timothy 6:6-8: But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
- DQ 3) What does it mean to be content?
- DQ 4) How can people with very little worldly wealth and possessions still be content?
3) The Power of Generosity
1 Timothy 6:17-19: Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
Proverbs 11:25: A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
- DQ 5) How does generosity break the grip of money over our souls?
- DQ 6) Why is growing in generosity an important part of maturing spiritually?