1) My Rock
Psalm 18:1-2: I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 20:6-7: Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he answers him from his holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
- DQ 1) Do you view God as your strength, protector, and deliverer? Why or why not?
- DQ 2) In what do you really trust for strength, security, and meaning in life?
2) Our Fortress
Psalm 46:1-3: God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah
Psalm 46:7: The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
- DQ 3) What personal walls have you erected to protect against the world?
- DQ 4) What does it mean that God is our fortress?
- DQ 5) How often do we need God to be your refuge and strength?
3) Worthy of Praise!
Psalm 48:1-3: Great is the LORD, and most worthy of praise, in the city of our God, his holy mountain. It is beautiful in its loftiness, the joy of the whole earth. Like the utmost heights of Zaphon is Mount Zion, the city of the Great King. God is in her citadels; he has shown himself to be her fortress.
Psalm 47:1-2: Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. How awesome is the LORD Most High, the great King over all the earth!
Psalm 47:5-8: God has ascended amid shouts of joy, the LORD amid the sounding of trumpets. Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises. For God is the King of all the earth; sing to him a psalm of praise. God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.
- DQ 6) When you are under the most stress, do you run to God as your protector?
- DQ 7) To what extent is God your fortress?