May. 03, 2020
What if Jesus is Coming Soon?
Primary Text: 2 Peter 3:3-18 May 3, 2020
1) Where is this 'Coming'? -
* 2 Peter 3:3-4: First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."
* 2 Peter 3:8-9: But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
* 2 Peter 3:10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
- DQ 1) Identify scriptures that refer to the Second Coming of Christ.
- DQ 2) What are possible meanings of the phrase “the day of the Lord”?
2) How Should We live? -
* 2 Peter 3:11-14: Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming…. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.
- DQ 3) What does it mean to live a holy and Godly life?
- DQ 4) Are you “spotless, blameless and at peace with” Jesus?
3) Be Found Faithful -
* 1 Peter 4:7-9: The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
* 2 Peter 3:17-18: Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
* Matthew 24:36, 44-47: No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father…. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. Who then is the faithful and wise servant…? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions.
- DQ 5) What are the characteristics of a faithful servant of Christ?
- DQ 6) How do we guard against false teaching?
4) Come, Lord Jesus! -
* 1 John 2:28: And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.
* Revelation 1:7-8: Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
* Revelation 22:12-13: "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."
* Revelation 22:20: He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
- DQ 7) How would your life be different if you knew Christ would return in 2021?