February 20, 2020
429 Shipley Ferry Road Blountville, TN 37617
Last weekend's Teaching: Resolving Anger
- Primary Text: Ephesians 4:30-31 February 15 & 16, 2020 -
- 1) Old or New Anger -
* Ephesians 4:22-24: You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- DQ 1) What is the difference between pride-based anger versus righteous anger?
- 2) Harmful Anger -
* Ephesians 4:25-29: Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold…. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- DQ 2) What are the adverse effects of expressing anger wrongfully?
- DQ 3) What are the adverse effects of keeping anger buried internally?
- 3) Repent! -
* Ephesians 4:30-31: And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
- DQ 4) How can anger grieve the Holy Spirit?
- 4) Forgive! -
* Ephesians 4:32: Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- DQ 5) Why is the way of the cross the only effective avenue for dealing with anger?